Last night, I came home from the hospital.  My new knee came home with me.  Overall the surgical procedure was fine.  The thing I was most nervous about was the epidural, which was a very insignificant part of the process.  No pain or discomfort and I was numb for 3 hours after surgery in recovery.  Sadly, the block wore off sooner and more completely than they expected, my room wasn’t ready, and they didn’t have pain meds in the recovery room.  Which I had trouble understanding.  That, and the recovery room wasn’t too busy that day.

They finally put some dilaudid in the IV, but it was too late and I was way behind on the pain.  When I got to the room I was in such distress, I cried for 3 hours. Mr Phat kept trying to encourage me to breathe deeply in and out.  Ultimately they got enough pain meds in me to get ahead of it and I’ve been doing fine since then.

The day after surgery I was getting in and out of bed fairly easily, and did the long “loop” on the ortho floor.  My doctor visited and said that the old knee had a lot of erosion, which is typical of what they see with Rheumatoid patients.  Not surprising.

I’ve already had my first Physical Therapy session this morning.  He thought I was moving along on my walker pretty well, and he showed me some exercises to do, interspersed with walking and icing.  That’s what I will be doing for the next few days – walking, icing, exercising and resting.  I will keep you posted on my progress.


17 thoughts on “Home

  1. Glad to hear that you are doing well! Just don’t understand that part about pain meds in the recovery room….how far away from the rest of the hospital was it? Do not the nurses/doctors/pharmacists have legs? In a world where Europe is just hours away….how far is it from the recovery room to the hospital pharmacy? And how difficult to phone/text/email etc. a doctor to call in meds? Not to rant, but that is just unacceptable in this day and age! Glad you made it through and are on the mend!

    • Didn’t make any sense to me either. I think they thought I was exaggerating or maybe every one wanted me to be someone else’s responsibility. The more anxious I got, the more I tensed up and the worse it got. Thankfully a nurse on my floor took over. She said “what are we doing for her?” She took over and owned it. I write about pain meds alot, I have a high tolerance, and get nervous about the future of pain meds for those who might need it. When I left they all knew I was the real deal, not a faker and one who will work on getting thru rehab. Thanks for the crutches so I could get in the front door last night! So helpful

  2. I am so glad you made it home. I have no understanding of why a hospital allows us to get behind on pain. I hope you will look at your new knee in a few weeks like I think of my new hip. Best decision I ever made.

    • Rick, I already feel more stable and sturdy on my new knee. A little pain and discomfort, that gets less each day, will be worthwhile this process…….of course I have another knee.

      Have a great Sunday

  3. OMG, Leigh! You poor thing. That’s awful about the outrageous delay on your pain meds. But I’m glad you’re home & that you’re feeling better. Thinking of you & hoping things go smoothly for the duration. 💗

    • Trese- better every day and the new knee is definitely strong and sturdy. I’m moving better than expected already…..now if only I could just sleep!!! Hope you are well and enjoying the warm weather in chicago!

  4. The lack of pain medication in a friggin’ RECOVERY ROOM makes no sense whatsoever, especially if your doctor ordered post-op pain meds for you. Whatever. You made it through and I have great faith that will be the “worst” part of the whole experience. Welcome home! Work hard on therapy and you’ll do great. (But don’t overdo! Your body needs rest in order to heal, so don’t forget that!) Congrats on the new titanium!

    • Pretty topical, right Carla? So far only blip, and it gets dimmer as I get further away from it. Feeling pretty good, moving pretty well. I have no real complaints. And yes, I need lots of rest and ice. Took a nice refreshing nap this afternoon. It was wonderful. Thanks for your kind words

  5. I’m glad you’re home and progressing well with your recovery. I find it inconceivable and unconscionable that they didn’t have you covered with IV pain meds in Recovery. Once you let the pain take hold, it takes that much longer to get it under control. I’m so sorry that happened to you, but your attitude sounds positive and that’s the first step in healing and recovering. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    • Thanks for the good thoughts Irma. I’m doing better than I expected but each day is different. Looking forward to easing back into my RA meds. I will start the metho this weekend and the Xeljanz a week from tomorrow. That will help because this am the RA pain and swelling is far worse than the surgical pain and swelling.
      Hope you are well.

  6. I hope the new knee is worth it and that you are able to ski again next season.
    We are headed up next week. I just cannot ski like I use to be able to do. Old age and treachery? Out of shape, lacking in oxygen and all that stuff, I am just looking forward to being in the mountains again.
    I will take an easy run for you :~)

    • Karen, I would love to know that you took a run for me. Looks like conditions are pretty good up north. They got buried with snow and now it’s been spring like conditions.

      Newer skis and boots are more user friendly for us older skiers, so if you rent, make sure to rent appropriate equipment. It’s makes turning happen almost all by itself.


      • Karen – im jealous! Loved your ski pics and I will figure out how to comment on your site when I’m on my laptop. When I ski it’s not full days either. I can do 3 – 4 hours and then I’m toast. And that’s ok. I’m glad you got away – looks like you had the slopes to yourself. So I noticed you had oxygen. Is that due to altitude only or do you need it?

      • Sorry. I needed to get to my computer. 😉 I live at 7400 ft. i am on 02 at night and if I get sick. 8000ft and I use 02. Wimpy lungs are what sent me to a rheum doc. lung doc did not like the looks of my hands.
        And no, pulm doc does not know I ski with 02…I saw others and thought why not me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s